Sensory-friendly events are designed to create a performing arts experience that is welcoming to families of children with autism or other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities.
At Strathmore, we strive to make our performances and facilities welcoming and accessible to everyone and we are proud to present performances specifically intended for audiences with sensory sensitivities. Additionally, many of our family-friendly shows and Strathmore Kids events offer a welcoming, “no-shush” environment and relaxed house rules.
Accommodations for sensory-friendly performances include:
- Lower sound level, especially for startling or loud sounds
- Lights remain on at a low level during the performance
- A reduction of strobe lighting or lighting focused on the audience
- Audience members are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance
- Designated quiet areas within the venue
- Space throughout the venue for standing and movement
- Limited capacity in the performance to allow plenty of space for each patron
- Strathmore staff trained to be welcoming and accommodating to families’ needs
- The use of electronic devices for communication is permitted.
“Get Ready for the Show!” resource materials are available on each event page one month prior to the event to help families prepare for their visit. Materials include pictures of the venue, entryways, performance images, and information about what to expect.
Upcoming Sensory-Friendly Events
WED APRIL 21 | 7PM
PROTECT THE ARTS
While our stages may be dark, our core commitment to you—and to our artists, students, and teachers—does not change. Together, we will nourish the creative soul of our community.