Saturday, August 17, 2019, 10am
11th Annual UkeFest
Sat–Wed, Aug 17–21, 2019
It’s not too early to plan a strummer of a summer learning (or perfecting) your ukulele skills! Celebrating a decade dedicated to this small but mighty music maker, UkeFest Artistic Directors Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer return along with Daniel Ho, Peter Luongo, and more extraordinary instructors for five days of skill-based instruction. For those looking for more intensive skill development, Strathmore’s UkeFest is the only program of its kind that offers an advanced track. If you’re a teacher, don’t miss the new Ukulele Teacher Training the day before UkeFest.
Included in Tuition
- 8 hours of skill-based classes
- 5 hours of Choose Your Own class sessions
- Jam sessions and ensemble work
- Admission to the student and instructor showcases
- Grand finale Live from the Lawn performance
- Novice: You've never picked up a uke. Note that we no longer offer a Novice class at UkeFest. But you can practice on your own and sign up for our Beginner classes! You may also sign up for a FREE month of beginner lessons from Marcy at www.pegheadnation.com using the code Marcy16.
- Beginner: You know C-F-G and G-C-D chords, but are not confident enough to change chords while keeping a steady beat.
- Intermediate: You are comfortable playing 3-4 chords in 3-4 keys (C,G,F,A). You play a variety of basic chords (for example: A, Am, B7, C, C7, D, Dm, E7, Em, G, and G7) and understand simple chord progressions (such as I, IV, V chords). You can sing and strum at the same time, and learns chords to simple tunes fairly quickly. You’re ready for some jazz chords, ready for some snazzier right hand techniques, ready to explore a variety of repertoires on the uke.
- Upper Intermediate: You are confident at the Intermediate skills, but not quite proficient enough to be in the advance class. You can play without written music in front of you
- Advanced: You’ve mastered some chord inversions, play both rhythm and lead, aren’t afraid of bar chords or playing past the 5th fret and can play both lead and rhythm easily. If you believe you are advanced, please send a short video showing your skills to firstname.lastname@example.org so our Directors can confirm your placement.
The program is geared for adults; please email email@example.com before purchasing a registration for a student under the age of 18.
Strathmore aims to make music education experiences like UkeFest as financially accessible as possible, and we are able to offer a limited number of partial tuition scholarships. Please note that because our goal is to provide partial assistance to as many people as possible, we are not likely to offer full scholarships. To apply, please send an email explaining your need, your interest in the program, and your requested support amount to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By May 1: Full tuition refund minus $25 cancellation fee
May 2–June 1: 50% tuition refund
June 2–July 20: 25% tuition refund
July 21–Aug 17: no tuition refund
New! Ukulele Teacher Training
Presented in conjunction with the 11th Annual UkeFest, this full day of instruction is designed to help ukulele teachers of all levels expand their teaching horizons. Available as an add-on to UkeFest. Register now!
We rely on charitable gifts from individuals to sustain and expand our visual and performing arts experiences and arts education programs. Your gift will foster incredible social impact by allowing Strathmore to remain a strong and vibrant resource in your community.