Artists in Fiction Book Club
Artists in Fiction Book Club
Strathmore’s art-themed book club explores your favorite artists, turning the pages of both popular and lesser-known novels. Join fellow readers and art enthusiasts once a month to discuss forgotten painters, origins of colors, and miraculous recoveries of masterpieces. Each meeting provides an examination of the factual background along with the fiction.
Book club meetings are currently online. RSVP to receive the Zoom link before the meeting. Registration closes at 10am on meeting days. A Zoom link will be emailed to participants 30 minutes prior to the event. If you do not receive the Zoom link, please check your spam folder or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter & Spring 2021 Virtual Book Clubs
Thu, Jan 28, 7pm: A Piece of the World by Cristina Baker Kline (Please note the new date.)
Wed, Feb 17, 7pm: Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper by Harriet Chessmore
Wed, March 24, 7pm: Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler (selected in conjunction with the future performance of Parable of the Sower at Strathmore)
Wed, April 21, 7pm: The Collector's Apprentice by B A Shapiro
Wed, May 19, 7pm: The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi
June: no book club
Finding Free E-Books & Audio Books
If you have a library card, we recommend starting with your library system! Select eAudiobook or eBook from Advanced Search menus to narrow your options.
All the Digital Copies Checked Out at Your Library? Or Don’t Have a Library Card?
Many libraries have online registration options that offer temporary access to digital resources. Additionally, Maryland residents may register with and borrow materials from any public library in the State, and many libraries in the DMV area have reciprocal borrowing agreements that allow residents to borrow materials across state/district lines.
Check a library’s “get a card” page for more information on digital/temporary cards and eligibility. Here are a few options to get you started:
- Montgomery County Public Libraries – Digital Library Card for immediate use. MCPL is currently waiving the usual 30-day expiration for digital cards. Available to those who live, work, or go to school in Montgomery County or those who live in Maryland; the District of Columbia; or Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, Loudoun, or Prince William Counties in Northern Virginia.
- Enoch Pratt Free Library – Online eCard never expires as long as it’s active within a year! Open to Maryland Residents.
- Prince George’s County Public Libraries – Virtual Card good for 3 years for Prince George’s County residents or 6 months for other Maryland residents and residents of the District of Columbia; and Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Falls Church, Loudoun County, and Prince William County in Virginia.
- Howard County Public Libraries – Temporary card good for 6 months. Open to Maryland Residents.
- Open Library by the Internet Archive – No library card is needed to check out books, just registration. Open to all.
We rely on charitable gifts from individuals to sustain and expand our visual and performing arts experiences and arts education programs. Your gift will foster incredible social impact by allowing Strathmore to remain a strong and vibrant resource in your community.