Love to sing? Audition for Strathmore Children’s Chorus (SCC), where you can join one of our ensembles and sing with other kids and teens your age.
Now entering its 10th season, SCC provides a pre-professional choral experience to students ages 7–18 from diverse backgrounds. Five performing ensembles promote self-expression in singers, celebrate the diverse musical traditions of our residents, and engage talented youth in joy-filled and uplifting music-making. Learn more about SCC.
We will be offering 2 audition options for 2020-2021 season:
- In-person at AMP August 12–14 (register by noon August 11)
- Virtual Coming soon! Registration info will be posted August 1
Both options require a nonrefundable audition fee of $25.
The student should audition for the ensemble you or they think is the best fit. Placement will be determined by SCC and listed in a student’s acceptance letter.
General Info: Read Me First
August 12–14, 2021
Registration open now!
To be eligible, you must register by noon on Wednesday, August 11.
- Auditions will be hosted inside the main room of AMP by Strathmore, located in Pike & Rose.
- Masks will be required at all times for both children/teens and accompanying adults.
- Please have the student audition for the ensemble you think is the best fit based on descriptions. After a successful audition, the SCC Artistic Director determines which ensemble is the best fit and placement is included in the student’s acceptance letter.
- You will select a specific time slot when registering your student to audition for an ensemble. A very limited number of students are registered for each time slot. Register early for the best chance of getting your preferred time.
- During the audition, students will be 6 feet apart from each other in a row, facing the stage/piano, and will sing (with masks on). The audition will last up to 30 minutes.
- For elementary school students, one accompanying adult may be in the room during the audition. Adults must remain 12 feet or more from auditioning students, and at least 6 feet or more from each other. For middle and high school students, we ask that accompanying adults wait outside the room or the venue.
- Audition slots on the same day are spaced 30 minutes apart to allow for ventilation/air circulation, and for staff to clean the space.
You can also learn about the general steps Strathmore has taken for visitor health. We will provide detailed information in an audition reminder email.
Ready to register? Scroll down to find an audition time slot.
REGISTER FOR AN IN-PERSON AUDITION
Our introductory ensemble, established in 2017 to fill the need of younger singers who have not had musical training. Children in grades 2 through 5 are introduced to sight-reading and basic music theory. Singers will learn techniques that are safe and suitable for the young voice. We prepare them for advancement into upper ensembles with instruction in choral and performance etiquette.FIND A TIME SLOT
The Apprentice Chorus furthers our commitment to younger singers, providing instruction to children in grades 3 through 6 in sight-reading and music theory. The Apprentice Chorus has at least 2 performances at the Music Center at Strathmore during our choral season, in addition to special regional performances.FIND A TIME SLOT
The Treble Chorus is comprised of children in grades 5 through 10 who are early in their vocal music education and are selected according to age and skill level. Students learn more complex and detailed repertoire and receive intermediate-level music and sight-reading instruction. In addition to our winter and spring concerts, the Treble Chorus allows ensemble members to partner with other local and national ensembles, such as the National Philharmonic Chorale.FIND A TIME SLOT
The Concert Chorus is our advanced vocal ensemble for students grades 6 through 12 and includes both young women and young men with unchanged voices. The Concert Chorus often performs in collaboration with the Tenor Bass Chorus and serves as our select touring ensemble.FIND A TIME SLOT
TENOR BASS CHORUS
The Tenor Bass Chorus is our vocal ensemble featuring singers 13–18 years of age who sing TB, TTB, and TBB (tenor/baritone/bass) repertoire selections. They also work with select members of the Concert Chorus to form an SATB ensemble.FIND A TIME SLOT
Registration opens August 1
We are preparing a virtual audition option. Each ensemble will have specific requirements for song repertoire and vocal or rhythmic exercises.
Please check back August 1 if you are interested in the virtual audition option.