MCYO is excited to announce an in-person Summer Strings Week in 2021!
Camp will enhance students’ musicianship and technical ability through ensemble rehearsals with Maestro Jorge Orozco and our wonderful MCYO faculty; hands-on sessions in music history, theory, and composition; and performance and masterclass opportunities. Ensemble repertoire and workshop content will be brand-new, so musicians from past summer camps are welcome back.
We will have a lower teacher-to-student ratio and limited enrollment to accommodate COVID-19 restrictions and protocols, and will host junior and senior camps in different weeks to ensure more space for a comfortable experience. All CDC guidelines will be followed, including limited students per square meter per room, all-time masking, temperature checks, social distancing, and any additional guidelines that are current at the time of camp.
Tuition is $650. MCYO will contact applicants to confirm their participation and will provide accepted students with a link for tuition payment.
- String ensemble rehearsals with maestro Jorge Orozco and sectionals with outstanding faculty
- Masterclasses and technique sessions
- Music writing and ear training in our fantastic composition lab
- Audition workshops and music history sessions
- Solo recital opportunities
JUNIOR GROUP MUSICIAN REQUIREMENTS
- Students must be entering grades 3–5 in the fall
- Participants must have taken private lessons for 2–3 years for violin, 2 years for viola or cello, and 1 year for bass.
- No audition is required for current MCYO musicians. Non-MCYO musicians will be asked to submit a video with their application. The video should include a solo piece of the student’s choice. It does not have to be a professional recording, a home recording is perfectly fine.
- Musicians must bring their own instrument and music stand.
- Musicians must bring their own bagged lunch, snacks, and beverages (no refrigeration available).
Questions? Contact Camp Director Maria Montano.