Sensory-Friendly Performances at Strathmore
Strathmore strives to make its performances and facilities welcoming and accessible to everyone. For additional information, or if you have questions or need assistance, please contact us.
Sensory-friendly performances are designed to create a performing arts experience that is welcoming to families of children with autism or other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities. Strathmore is proud to present performances specifically intended for audiences with sensory sensitivities. Additionally, many of our family-friendly shows and Strathmore Kids events offer a welcoming, “no-shush” environment and relaxed house rules.
Accommodations for sensory-friendly performances include:
- Lower sound level, especially for startling or loud sounds
- Lights remain on at a low level during the performance
- A reduction of strobe lighting or lighting focused on the audience
- Audience members are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance
- Designated quiet areas within the venue
- Space throughout the venue for standing and movement
- Limited capacity in the performance to allow plenty of space for each patron
- Strathmore staff trained to be welcoming and accommodating to families’ needs
The use of electronic devices for communication is permitted.
“Get Ready for the Show!” resource materials are available on each event page one month prior to the performance to help families prepare for their visit. Materials include pictures of the venue, entryways, performance images, and information about what to expect.
2019–2020 Sensory-Friendly Calendar
Saturday Family Story Session with Shakespeare for the Young, Sat, Sept 21,10:15am
Saturday Family Story Session with Synetic Theater, Sat, Oct 26,10:15am
Backstage Tour, Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 11am
Backstage Tour, Sat, Feb 8, 2020, 11am
Invoke Concert for Kids, Sat, Feb 22, 2020, 10:15am
MCYO Open Rehearsal, Wed, March 11, 2020, 7pm
MCYO Open Rehearsal, Wed, May 27, 2020, 7pm
Saturday Family Jam Session with Brad Kolodner, Sat, April 11, 10:15am
Saturday Family Jam Session with Cecily, Sat, April 25, 10:15am
We are eager to hear about your needs and feedback. If you have questions, requests, or suggestions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We rely on charitable gifts from individuals to sustain and expand our visual and performing arts experiences and arts education programs. Your gift will foster incredible social impact by allowing Strathmore to remain a strong and vibrant resource in your community.