Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 8pm
The Music Center
$35 - $90
featuring members of
Strathmore Children's Chorus,
MacMillan Pipe Band
& Culkin School of Irish Dance
The Chieftains’ name has been synonymous with the finest Irish music for over 55 years. Formed in 1962 and led by founding member Paddy Moloney, the band has spread Ireland’s indigenous sounds and styles across the globe. With an ability to transcend musical boundaries and blend tradition with modern music, it has been hailed as one of the most renowned and revered musical groups to this day. With decades of experience under their belt, The Chieftains’ members and their music remain just as fresh and relevant as when they first began.
- The Chieftains are the first Western musicians to perform on the Great Wall of China.
- Paddy Moloney’s whistle and bandmate Matt Molloy’s flute traveled with NASA astronaut Cady Colemen to the international space station.
- In 1989, the Irish government awarded The Chieftains the honorary title of Ireland’s Musical Ambassadors.
- Select members of the Strathmore Children’s Chorus will be participating in 4 of the evening’s pieces.
- The MacMillan Pipe Band, a top pipe band of the mid-Atlantic region, is dedicated preserving the Scottish Arts of playing the pipes and drums.
|This performance is part of Strathmore’s Windows to the World series of international performances. Check out the full line-up and join the Global Voices Club.|
We rely on charitable gifts from individuals to sustain and expand our visual and performing arts experiences and arts education programs. Your gift will foster incredible social impact by allowing Strathmore to remain a strong and vibrant resource in your community.