As a principal education partner at the Music Center at Strathmore, Levine Music offers individual and group lessons in more than 20 instruments and voice for all ages and abilities, whether a novice, a hobbyist or a budding professional musician. Students ages four months to 100 years have benefited from instruction in strings, winds, voice and piano as well as specialty programs such as chamber music, music theory and history classes, composition and Early Childhood Music. In addition, Levine offers summer programs and year-round daytime classes for adults and retirees.
Founded in 1976, Levine Music is one of the nation's leading nonprofit community music schools, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, certified as exemplary by the National Guild of Community Schools of Arts and is the largest “All-Steinway” community music school in the country. Levine’s 150 faculty artists serve 3,700 students at its state-of-the-art facility at the Music Center at Strathmore in addition to campuses in NW and SE Washington and in Arlington, Virginia. Levine offers an extensive scholarship and outreach program that this year will provide more than 850 children with free music instruction at a cost to the school of more than $800,000.
Why study at Levine?
- Quality instruction: Teachers at Levine are professionals of the highest quality who are selected through a rigorous audition/interview process. Many are locally, nationally and internationally acclaimed for their solo or collaborative work.
- Play in ensembles: Have fun making music with other musicians and Levine's faculty artists.
- Performance opportunities: Levine students perform in more than 70 recitals each year.
- High-quality concerts by exceptional faculty-artists: There are more than 100 performances a year at our campuses and at many of the DC area's top performance venues.
- Master classes: Many world-renowned artists have visited Levine to teach our students and impart advice that only a master can share. Among them, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, pianists Garrick Ohlsson, Stephen Hough and Lang Lang, the King's Singers, flutist Lady Jeanne Galway, and Baltimore Symphony Orchestra conductor Marin Alsop.
For more information about Levine’s private lessons, classes and special events throughout the DC region, please visit www.levinemusic.org. Students interested in music classes at Levine at Strathmore, please call 301.897.5100 or refer to the course schedule published on Levine’s website.
We rely on charitable gifts from individuals to sustain and expand our visual and performing arts experiences and arts education programs. Your gift will foster incredible social impact by allowing Strathmore to remain a strong and vibrant resource in your community.