Come Sing With Us!
Sing in the "Bernstein at 100: Celebrating the American Voice" concert on June 3, 2018
Come sing in Montgomery County’s contribution to the international celebration of Bernstein’s centennial. On June 3, 2018, National Philharmonic Chorale Artistic Director Stan Engebretsen will lead a consortium of choristers, including singers from the National Philharmonic Chorale and the Montgomery College Chorus, in a performance of the iconic Chichester Psalms by Leonard Bernstein and choral works by other great American composers. The concert will take place at the Spencerville SDA Church in Eastern Montgomery County.
Who can participate?
Singers from a variety of skill levels and backgrounds are encouraged to participate. Choir directors can choose to sign up their choir to participate, or encourage members of their ensembles to sign up as individuals. There is no formal audition process, so if you are hesitant about participating and/or have any questions, feel free to contact Strathmore Choral Coordinator, Colin Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am an individual/unaffiliated singer. Where can I rehearse with a choir to help me prepare?
There will be five rehearsals at Strathmore Music Center-Room 402 on Sundays from 6:15-8:15 pm.
What is the rehearsal requirement to be able to participate in this concert?
All singers and choirs will need to attend at least four of the five rehearsals held at Strathmore Music Center in addition to the final dress rehearsal and the concert dress rehearsals at Spencerville Seventh Day Adventist Church.
What is the rehearsal schedule?
- Sunday, April 22 6:15-8:15 pm Strathmore Music Center Room 402 with National Philharmonic Singers (NPS)
- Sunday, April 29 6:15-8:15 pm Strathmore Music Center Room 402, + NPS
- Sunday, May 6 6:15-8:15 pm Strathmore Music Center Room 402, + NPS
- Sunday, May 13 6:15-8:15 pm Strathmore Music Center Room 402, + NPS
- Sunday, May 20 6:15-8:15 pm Strathmore Music Center Room 402, + NPS
- Wed, May 30 7-9:30 pm Combined dress rehearsal for all musicians at Spencerville SDA
- Sunday, June 3 1:30-5:30pm Final dress rehearsal, sound-check, and concert at Spencerville SDA
What other songs will we be singing?
Repertoire for the full Festival Chorus:
- Chichester Psalms, Leonard Bernstein (Organ, harp, percussion, chorus and Counter-tenor), plus the following, (all are SATB versions)
- Shall We Gather at the River, Aaron Copland (piano)
- The Promise of Living, from the Tender Land, Aaron Copland (piano)
- Homeward Bound, Traditional American Tune, arr. Mack Wilberg (piano, organ)
- Hear My Prayer, Moses Hogan (A Cappella)
- Saints Bound for Heaven, Traditional American, arr. Mack Wilberg (Big Finale! 4 hand piano & organ)
How much does it cost?
There is no fee for participation. Although, each singer must purchase their own set of sheet music.
Where can I get the sheet music?
Music packets can be purchased from Music Source at a discount off retail price. Individual or whole concert packets are available. The BEST way to contact Music Source is by email: info@TheMusicSource.org. You may also call 203 698-0444 to leave a message.
How much will the packet cost?
A full music packet of all the songs will be $19.37, plus $3.95 for media mail or $5.95 for Priority Mail. Individual songs can be purchased. Contact The Music Source for more details and to order your set today.
Practice Tracks for Bernstein Chichester Psalms:
Sign Up Today!
Please complete the following online interest form. Upon completion, Strathmore's Choral Coordinator, Colin Brown will contact you via email or phone. This conversation is for us to learn more about you and/or your choir, answer any questions you may have, and to discuss your participation in this exciting event!
Support Arts For Everyone
We rely on charitable gifts from individuals to sustain and expand our visual and performing arts experiences and arts education programs. Your gift will foster incredible social impact by allowing Strathmore to remain a strong and vibrant resource in your community.